Thursday, October 4, 2012

Incredible India.

I was in Mumbai, India for the past week. And it was an experience of a life time. One would say, India would be the last place that I would go to. But on the contrary, when you're immersed in so much culture, heritage and history, you would want to go back to India as soon as you're back in Singapore. And that is the exact feeling I'm having right now.

I had a childhood dream to go to India since I was 9 years old. I never had a chance to, until now when I am 20 in my second year of my Poly education. It was an amazing experience in incredible India. I never thought that I would enjoy it so much.

India is home to the richest of the rich, and poorest of the poor. My hotel was just located beside a slump, where the poorest of the poor where living. I got to catch a glimpse of what slump life was. And truth be told, the smell was quite appalling. But those Indians living there made the best of what they can. They are friendly people, they would wave and smile to you when they see someone new.  Everything was done outside they bedroom sized homes. From washing to bathing, to cooking, and even chilling.

When asked if one would work for passion or pay. The answer was pay. One would be a doctor or an engineer because of the wages that they would receive. Students study extremely hard over in India. They would study for 6 days a week, and if need be, study all 7 days a week. They do not have the luxury of having to study for 2 hours and then take a break for an hour and go back to studying again. They would study for 8 hours straight if need be. After school bell's ring, they would head home and hit the books. Having a 60% - 70% grade is not enough for them. Even getting 98% would be depressing for any student in India.

One would ask how would you cope with such conditions. Having sit in class with little or no ventilation, having run down facilities on campus and having to travel 2 hours on the minimum to school everyday. The determination of the people there is somewhat astounding.

The rich history of India stretched for more than 2 thousand years. From feudal kingdoms and warlords, to the oppressed rule of the British Empire to the current Republic of India - the largest democracy in the world. The British certainly left its mark in India. Buildings with the British - Gothic designs and architecture can be seen all over the city, monuments erected for King George V, the first British Monarch to India.

There is so much more that I would like to say but I'll just leave with what I have said for now. I'll be back with more. India has certainly left her mark on me, and I will surely miss Incredible India.